Viking quotes, sayings, and phrases are very useful as they contain the wisdom of a legendary, erudite group and are undoubtedly a force to be reckoned with. Viking proverbs can help us learn to be strong and inspire us to be better. Here are 35 of the best ancient quotes from the Vikings to help you use Viking guidance in your own life to overcome any difficulties.
Wisdom Sayings of the Vikings
- “Wake early if you want another man's life or land. No lamb for the lazy wolf. No battle's won in bed.”- The Havamal
- “Fear not death for the hour of your doom is set and none may escape it.” - Volunga Saga
- “The reason why young men get nowhere is that they overestimate the obstacles every time." - 'The Saga Of Hrafnkel Freysgothi'.
- “All a people need in order to rise up against tyranny is a leader bold enough to take up the banner.” - The Saga Of Harald Hardrade
- “Bad counsel comes to a bad end.” - The Saga of Magnus Barefoot
- “Varied will be his fortunes who fares far.” - The Saga Of Fridthjof The Bold
- “Let another’s wounds be your warning.” – Njal’s Saga, c.37
- “Wisdom is welcome wherever it comes from.” – Bandamanna Saga, c.10
- “We often regret saying too much and seldom regret saying too little.” – The Saga of Hrafnkel Freysgothi, c.7.
- “Those who take large resolutions, and then set them aside, only end in disgrace.” – The saga of King Olaf Trygvisson, c.9
Inspirational Viking Quotes
- “Better to fight and fall than to live without hope.” - Volsunga, c.12
- “The brave man well shall fight and win, though dull his blade may be.” - Fafnismal 28
- “Loose lips sink ships. And remember whoever gossip with you will gossip about you.”
- “He with a short knife must try, try again.” - Vapnfirðinga Saga, c.7
- “Yes, those who fall and get up are stronger than those who never fall at all. In the end, what will matter more, the result or the lessons learnt during the path?
- “That's the Viking spirit. We cannot change the fates the Norns already created for us. So why don't we get ready to deal with it and live our life to the fullest before fate finally finds us. ”
- “Don't you ever laugh at other people's mistakes. Because one day it will come and knock at your door. Learn from it. ”
- “When men encounter enemies in the fight, a robust heart is better than a sharp sword.” – Volsunga, c.19.
- “Bravery is half the victory.” – The Saga of Harald Hardrade, c.103
- “The thrall alone takes instant vengeance; the coward never.” – Grettir Saga, c.15
Viking Phrases About Family And Friendship
- “Every one has some friend even among his enemies.” - The Saga Of Olaf Haraldsson
- “Gold is little comfort to the dead relative.” - From Saga of Ervar Odd
- “One's back is vulnerable, unless one has a brother. ”- Grettir Saga
- “Be kind to friend and kin, and reward not their trespasses against you; bear and forbear, and win for yourself thereby long enduring praise of men.” - Volsunga Saga
- “No friend is he who but flatters.” - Norse Proverb
- “There is mingling in friendship when man can utter all his whole mind to another.” - Norse Proverb
- “Lighter to pay is the vengeance-price, after the deed, if the son is dead.” - Sigurtharkvitha en Skamma
- “All should be told to a friend.” - Egil's Saga
- “Old friends are the last to break away.” - Grettir Saga
Viking Quotes About Valhalla
- “Gates all, Before in you go, You must examine well; For you cannot know Where enemies sit In the house before you.” - Euhemerized account of Valhalla, Gylfe's Journey To Asgard, Prose Edda
- “Easily to be known is, by those who to Odin come, the mansion by its aspect. Its roof with spears is laid, its hall with shields is decked, with corslets are its benches strewed.”
- “Valgrind is the lattice called, in the plain that stands, holy before the holy gates: ancient is that lattice, but few only know how it is closed with lock.”
- “Five hundred doors, and forty eke, I think, are in Valhall. Eight hundred Einherjar will at once from each door go when they issue with the wolf to fight.”
- “Gladsheim the fifth is named, there the golden-bright Valhall stands spacious, there Hropt selects each day those men who die by weapons.”
The life lessons of the Vikings have been passed down from generation to generation and now we have collected these treasures for you. Hopefully, you will find some life inspiration from it.